Maldives is the lowest planet in the world with the island’s ground level averaged at 1.5 meters (4 feet 11 inches), and its highest point, a certain spot in Villingili Island that stands at 2.3 meters (7 feet 7 inches). This and many other interesting facts make Maldives an unique destination to visit.
Internationally renowned journalist, photographer and urban nomad Kounteya Sinha has been photographing and writing on the incredible island nation of Maldives for the past 10 years. From hand feeding sharks, to diving with sting rays, sailing in the local boats called Donis to discovering secrets on how to grow vegetables on sand, discovering local cuisines to lazing on a hammock in the middle of the sea, Sinha has hopped from one island to another photographing the country’s people, islands, resorts and of course the water.
Here is a sneak peek into some of his amazing photographs that will make you want to leave everything at hand and take the next flight to the country of sun sand and turquoise waters.
15 amazing photos of Maldives that will make you pack your bag and visit the island country now
1. Wellness and detox destination – Maldives
2. Leisure island – best for slow travel
3. Slide through the island’s waters
4. Swim leisurely at your own pace
5. Walk across to your home in the island
6. Beach resorts where you can find peace during your holiday in Maldives
7. Maldives is an incredible bikini destination. Pack your best beachwear before coming
8. Indulge yourself at this island nation
9. Sun, sea, beach – a perfect location for glamping and glacation
10. Clouds make an interesting pattern making it appear more stunning
11. Visit Maldives to witness such stunning sunset for a romantic vacation
12. Incredible view of a sunset in Maldives
13. Let the light spark
14. Come, let’s feast at the local cuisines that Maldives has to offer
15. An array of colourful fish
Best time to go:
The best weather is between September and April.
The high season falls between November and March.
The monsoon peaks around June.
Important local words:
Good morning – Baajjaveri hedununeh
Hello – Asalamalaikum
Goodbye – Vakivanee
Thank you – Shukurriya
How are you – Kihiney
Yes – Aan
No – Noon
How much – Kihavareh
Sorry – Mafukurey
Best way to go:
A short two hour flight from anywhere in India to Bangalore, an overnight stay and then a one hour flight to Male.
Indian Airlines flies very frequent flights to Male and is usually always on time.
Top Interesting Facts:
The Island nation has over 1190 coral islands, grouped in twenty-six major atolls.
Around 200 islands are inhabited with around 80 being tourist resorts.
One can see over 200 species of fish in one dive in the Maldives.
There are 370 species of sharks in the world of which 50 are found in the Maldives.
The first Underwater Cabinet Meeting was held in this country in 2009 to raise awareness on climate change.
It is the lowest planet in the world with the island’s ground level averaged at 1.5 meters (4 feet 11 inches), and its highest point, a certain spot in Villingili Island that stands at 2.3 meters (7 feet 7 inches).
The Maldives Constitution was written in 1997 and specifies that citizens must be Muslim.
Not only is Maldives the smallest country in Asia, it is also the smallest Muslim country in the world.