The country of Lithuania is steeped in history. It is celebrating its 100th year of independence on 16th February. It’s rich natural landscapes, myriad hues of its people and culture, magical festivals, stunning natural parks, riveting architecture and amazing cuisine makes it a must visit country, says Kounteya Sinha.
10 stunning photos of Lithuania that are reasons enough to visit the country
Lithuania is proud of its history. It’s filled with amazing facts:
- It’s also the seat of higher education in Europe. Vilnius University is the oldest university in Eastern Europe (1579).
- Vilnius is also the greenest capitals in Europe with 40 percent covered in vegetation.
- The country’s Trakai Castle is considered among 500 of the most impressive tourist spots in the world.
- The country’s constitution of 3rd May 1791 is the first in Europe and second in the world.
- Lithuania is the first in Central and Eastern Europe for foreign language skills.
- Declaration of its independence was done in 16th February 1918.
- Baltic Way is the longest human chain listed in the Guinness Book of World Records.
Kounteya Sinha is an internationally renowned journalist, urban nomad, public speaker and explorer. He is based in Kolkata.